A total nutrition program for weight loss, longevity, and good health.
In BEYOND PRITIKIN, first published in 1988, Ann Louise Gittleman was the first to proclaim that obesity was caused by the lack of dietary fats and the wrong kind of carbohydrates. This groundbreaking book “blew the whistle’ on the fat-free carb-rich diet craze of the 80s.
Americans have never been more health— and diet— conscious than they are today, yet the percentage of overweight Americans is greater than ever before. Could the fat-free, carbohydrate-rich diet often promoted for weight loss and health actually be causing sugar cravings, weight gain, fatigue, and other serious problems?
BEYOND PRITIKIN, based on a revolutionary dietary model using healthy essential fats and lower carbohydrate intake, is a complete lifestyle regimen for health, weight loss, and longevity.
In this updated and revised edition, Ann Louise, former director of nutrition at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Santa Monica, incorporates the latest scientific research and tells you how to lower cholesterol, revitalize your immune system, control weight, and slow the aging process – the major health concerns of our time.
BEYOND PRITIKIN includes:
- A complete guide to the essential fats: how they work, and the foods and supplements that contain them
- How carbohydrates, when not balanced in the diet by sufficient protein and fat, stimulate insulin production-which promotes the storage of body fat
- Fat-burning nutrients – natural substances that boost the body’s ability to burn fat
- The original Two-Week “Fat Flush” to help detoxify your body and jump-start weight loss
- A 21-day eating program for natural weight loss-including balanced meal plans and delicious recipes to satisfy every taste
- Advice on how to purchase, store, and prepare foods on the BEYOND PRITIKIN Diet Plan
- Plus vital information on the benefits of foods once considered “bad,” the dangers of some “heart-healthy’ foods, and much more!