Parkinsons and Pesticides

The Clue Is In Your Water.

water_wellBucolic farmland. Water drawn from your own well. What could be wrong with that?  Plenty, new research from UCLA reports.

People on private wells located near fields sprayed with certain pesticides in California’s Central Valley had a 90 percent greater risk of developing Parkinson’s disease. And those who drank these toxins in their water for four years longer, on average, than other Valley residents had higher rates of this disease.

Close to one million Americans already have Parkinson’s, an incurable neurological disease. Caused by the death of nerve cells in the brain that produce dopamine, this disease begins with slight tremors before eventually making it difficult to walk and talk.

Earlier studies have shown similiar links between Parkinson’s and pesticide use.  One study several years ago even connected “one” exposure of the pesticide rotenone, a common pesticide used in the 70’s, with the development of Parkinson’s, although the condition didn’t occur until many years later. But the UCLA research goes further in connecting the dots by examining proximity of the wells to the specific pesticides used.  People drinking from wells closest to fields where these potent neurotoxins were sprayed had a 66 percent higher rate of Parkinson’s.

Of course, that’s only one concern with today’s water supply.  Antibiotics, bacteria, dry-cleaning fluids, fungicides, herbicides, hormones from birth control pills, industrial solvents, nitrates, parasites, plasticizers, radon, rocket fuel, and sewage sludge are just a few of the unwanted substances you might be drinking.

A 2008 report from the Environmental Working Group found 38 different contaminants including disinfection byproducts, caffeine, pharmaceuticals, heavy metals and minerals (specifically arsenic and radioactive isotopes), fertilizer residue, and other industrial chemicals—in bottled water! Chlorination, the process used by most municipal water companies, adds a major hormone mimic to tap water.

Even if you drink only filtered water, you’re not off the hook since 50 to 70 percent of adult exposure to water-borne pollutants comes from bathing or showering.

Dr. Ann Louise’s Take:

I have been very concerned about the growing sea of hidden environmental chemicals for years.  The problem is that our livers don’t naturally filter out environmental poisons.  They are stored away in fatty tissue where they can be released slowly over time.  This is why protecting your liver on a daily basis is so vital these days.

Now, based on this latest research, my specific recommendation is that if you have a well, you must get your water tested regularly—especially in late summer and fall when pesticide residues are the highest. Even public water supplies can contain dangerous residues, so contact your local water authority and ask for an updated report. For more information on water in your area go to http://www.epa.gov/safewater/.

Purify your drinking water with a fine-pore filter that also blocks parasites like giardia and cryptosporidium. For the past several years, I have used Natural Filtration by Crown Preserves Vital Minerals in my home. The Crown Ceramic Filters are affordable and easy to install on counter tops, under the counter, and on your showers.

Instead of wasting money on potentially dangerous bottled water—and polluting the environment with more unwanted plastic—invest in reusable water bottles to carry your filtered water wherever you go.

Sources:http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2009/08/pesticides-parkinsons-disease-well-water-contamination.html

 

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/parkinsons-and-pesticides

Ann Louise Gittleman, PhD, CNS, is an award-winning New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty books including The Fat Flush Plan series and her latest book, Radical Metabolism. She’s been rewriting the rules of nutrition for more than 40 years and is internationally recognized as a pioneer in the field of diet, detox and women’s health issues. 

For a FREE daily dose of tips and strategies for maintaining healthy weight, conquering insomnia, and much more…check out my Radical Health Tips.

I’d like to meet and greet you on my Facebook groups, so won’t you check us out at the Radical Metabolism RevolutionFat Flush Nation, or my Inner Circle!

6 Comments

  1. Denice Holland

    Ann Louise, have you heard of Kangen water? The Japanese refer to it as “the miracle water”.

    Reply
  2. The Valkyrie, Valerie Ojala

    Yes I have always felt intutively as a clairvoyant, that my father developed Parkinsons ( neuro-immune reaction) from pesticides. He grew up on a Yakuma, Washington apple farm. I often would drem of him staqnding and spraying a chemical on apples. . A neuro-phosphate. I would tell him as I was concerned. Later he develped a form of Parkinsons. I believe it crosses the blood and brain barrier.I knoiw there is an antidote. Valerie Ojala Keller

    Reply
  3. Ann Louise Gittleman

    Thank you for your responses. Denice: I own a Kangen water machine. Do I think it is a “miracle water”? Not yet. I have not witnessed major healings in any of my patients. In fact, when I measure the pH of those who have been on the 8.5 water for a good bit of time, I find that they are overly alkaline. In fact, wouldn’t you know, I find most people I test are ovelry alkaline – not overly acidic 🙂

    Valerie: I know that there is some anecdotal evidence that Ultra H-3, when taken 4 twice per day, has helped Parkinson’s.

    Reply
  4. Denice Holland

    I have a Kangen water machine too. It’s made a huge difference in me and my family. Along with my fat flush diet & exercise the water is helping me to flush out my cellulite. Whereas before, it wasn’t going anywhere! I’m amazed at the micro-clustering of the water as well. How important it is that we all stay hydrated 😉

    Reply
  5. Ann Louise Gittleman

    Dear Friends:
    I would love to answer each and every single one of your queries, as I have done to the best of my ability, in the past. The popularity of this Blog has grown to the extent that I can no longer provide that service but I am in the planning stages of an Internet – TV show where you can call in and get those questions answered by me in person! Please stay tuned for this exciting development. I first must complete a new manuscript and then will make some exciting announcements. In the interim, may I suggest that if you have questions about products, call UNI KEY at 1-800-888-4353. The folks there are helpful and will direct you accordingly. If you are concerned about a particular health condition, then by all means check out the Testing Kits on my site which will help you to determine underlying causes. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and interest!

    Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Media and Personal Consultation requests

Join Our Community!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This