Spring Is The Perfect Time for Liver and Parasite Cleansing
Spring is finally here, though it might not feel like it in many areas of the country. Spring is a wonderful time of year; the world is reawakening and blooming with a renewed energy. And, since our beloved Spring holidays are also all about freedom and renewed life, we like to use the transition to springtime as a time turn attention to the liver and its cohort, the gallbladder. That’s right, it’s liver cleanse time!
Sadly, the liver doesn’t get the same kind of attention that the heart and brain do. But it is so important, as it performs close to 400 varied functions in the body — from transforming food into energy to controlling hormonal balance and even producing the bile that supports healthy digestion.
The liver is the largest internal organ in the body, and it is a very potent detoxifier. In fact, that could be its most valuable function. However, that much detox, especially given the bombardment of toxins and parasites we face today, can make the liver vulnerable.
“Non-alcoholic fatty disease is present in 30% of adults in the United States,” says Manal Abdelmalek, MD, MPH, associate professor of gastroenterology/hepatology at Duke University Medical School. And another study in the International Journal of Obesity shows that 11% of overweight and obese kids have NAFLD.
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is a leading cause of systemic inflammation, which can result in Type 2 diabetes. A Swiss study in the journal Nutrition shows that eating too much sugar can lead to a fatty liver, as well as insulin resistance and increased body fat. And research in Hepatology links high-fructose corn syrup—common in today’s processed foods and drinks—with liver scarring or fibrosis.
While it is true that the liver is perfectly designed to detoxify itself automatically, if it becomes overloaded with poisons, petrochemicals, and/or prescription/OTC meds, it simply can’t perform its vital functions—maintaining blood sugar levels, synthesizing and normalizing blood proteins and helping keep the body in hormonal balance.
Freeing up this vital organ to do all its jobs may be the single most important step you can ever take in improving your overall health. Detoxification is a very nutrient-dependent process so your body needs to be well-fortified in order to detox your liver effectively.
Here are some ways to give your liver the Springtime clean up it needs.
- Nix food, drinks, salad dressings, and energy bars that contain high-fructose corn syrup.
- Start each day with hot water and lemon, to help thin bile and tone liver function.
- Eat liver-loving foods—particularly cruciferous veggies (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, and cauliflower)—to speed the breakdown of fat-storing toxins from the phase 2 detox pathway.
- Drink cran-water, an antioxidant/phenol-rich cranberry juice and water mixture, throughout the day to keep detox pathways clear.
- Consume lots of of fiber (from chia, flaxseed, or psyllium, as well as fruits and veggies) to keep toxins moving out of the body.
- Take in sufficient, healthy proteins like eggs with sulfur and lecithin to support detox and to aid in the formation of bile salts, and/or whey protein with amino acids that are precursors to glutathione—the liver’s premier antioxidant.
- AND, a liver cleansing word to the wise–TOO MUCH FRUIT can be contraindicated for the cleansing process, because of its high fructose content!
Take it to the next level with this added support:
To nourish your liver naturally and give your body a cleansing boost, I recommend Liver-Lovin Formula.
This very popular supplement by UNI KEY contains:
- Artichoke, a well-known liver healer that’s loaded with antioxidants to help move toxins through detox pathways and to boost bile production.
- Copper-free chlorophyll to further enhance elimination.
- Taurine, a major amino acid detoxifier that boosts the liver’s production of bile, aiding in fat breakdown.
Since spring is a time for renewal, and our spring holidays are a great reminder of freedom and a renewed sense of hope, let’s also embrace the renewal of our health, and freedom from this toxic world with a much-needed liver cleanse!