A proven detox drink to ditch holiday weight gain for good!
Whether you need to get back on track after all the holiday feasts or just want to recharge from all of the hustle and bustle, use my new super-charged cranberry cocktail to jumpstart your post-holiday detox!
I’ve written more than 30 books on detox, diet, and natural health over the past 4 decades, and I’m pleased and humbled that all of my books and programs have helped countless people reach their weight loss and health goals, while detoxing their bodies, recharging their energy, and renewing their vitality. From day one, a staple in all of my bestselling Fat Flush plans has been the humble-yet-amazing cranberry and its starring role in my cran-water drink, which has long enjoyed “viral” status online as “Fat Flush Water.”
So, why has the cranberry – a virtually unknown health hero – remained my detox, weight loss, and disease-fighting sidekick for all of these years?
The answer is quite simply found in its power-packed myriad of health benefits, which make it the best choice to kick-off your post-holiday detox this year. And today, as my New Year’s gift to you, I’m sharing the recipe for a brand-new cranberry cocktail I’ve created especially for my upcoming book, Radical Longevity.
But, first, let’s talk about why cranberry is so effective for post-holiday detox…
Crazy for Cranberry
The list of cranberries’ remarkable health benefits is so long, it’s hard to know where to start. Here’s a quick tour of what this ruby red jewel has to offer:
- They’re rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, and E as well as folic acid, boron, calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, and sulfur. These are all critical vitamins and minerals for liver health, as well as for many other tissues and organs.
- Among the most potent elements in cranberries are polyphenols, plant-based antioxidants that have powerful health-promoting effects. Just 8 ounces of cranberry juice contain 567 milligrams of polyphenols—compared to 0.53 milligrams in apple juice and 400 milligrams in red wine. If you prefer whole fruit, 2 ounces of fresh cranberries contain 373 milligrams of polyphenols, more than much larger servings of oranges, broccoli, blueberries, or strawberries.
- These brilliant berries are also vital aids to liver detox because they contain exceedingly high levels of lifesaving antioxidants that provide crucial support during detox protocols.
- Their high content of organic acids – including benzoic, malic, quinic, citric, and ellagic acids – have outstanding therapeutic qualities for many bodily functions. Malic acid, for example, is a potent digestion regulator, stone softener, and helps protect against diarrhea, while ellagic acid is a proven cancer fighter, powerful ally against heart disease, and strong supporter of bladder and prostate health.
- Cranberry juice can raise your healthy HDL cholesterol while preventing the oxidation of your LDL cholesterol and subsequent inflammation, which are all factors in heart disease.
- Cranberry is a superstar in gum disease prevention. Dental plaque is a breeding ground for bacteria and other microorganisms that can serve as precursors to a wide range of ailments, including dental cavities, periodontal diseases, and even heart disease. Cranberry has proven helpful to help clear harmful bacteria from the mouths of experimental subjects, preventing a gateway to other infections.
- And, who can forget the cranberry connection to protection against urinary tract infections? It is especially effective against E. coli, the most common cause of UTI.
Fat Flusher and Cellulite Blaster
Losing weight – and cellulite – with cranberries has a lot to do with their effects on the lymphatic system. Our lymph fluid moves through a complex network housed in our fascia, collecting excess fluid from cells all over the body.
Different parts of the body produce different types of lymph, for example:
- protein-rich fluid from the limbs,
- lymph full of white blood cells from the bone marrow, thymus, and spleen, and
- high-fat lymph from our intestines, which is what we’re focusing on today.
Fat is the only food macronutrient that moves through the lymphatic system. The proteins and carbohydrates that we ingest go right from the intestines into the blood stream for absorption once our food is broken down, but the intestinal lymphatic tissues draw most fats into the lymphatic system before they can reach the blood.
When the lymph isn’t flowing properly, excess fluid that isn’t draining from our tissues causes them to swell. These bloated, inflamed tissues can add up to 10 or 15 pounds to your weight, giving you loose, flabby tissue in your belly, hips, thighs, and upper arms. Cellulite contains more water-attracting molecules than smooth skin, which may lead to increased water retention, especially in these problem areas.
The phytonutrients in unsweetened cranberry juice have been shown to stimulate lymph flow and reduce fluid buildup in tissues, flushing the fat and blasting the cellulite. And speaking of cellulite, the proanthocyanidins in cranberry also strengthen connective tissue and protect blood vessel walls from damage by free radicals, thought to contribute to cellulite and varicose veins. As an added benefit, they make your capillaries stronger and increase muscle tone in your veins, both of which may help prevent varicose veins.
Toast the New Year with My New Live Longer Cocktail
I can’t wait to share my new book, Radical Longevity: The Powerful Plan to Sharpen Your Brain, Strengthen Your Body and Reverse the Symptoms of Aging, with you. And since I won’t be able to do that until its release date (sometime in 2021), I’m giving you a sneak peek with my newest cranberry cocktail. The Live Longer Cocktail will start and end your day in cleansing mode. Especially good for the liver and lymph, this beverage will keep your system well hydrated morning and night in one age-defying, lean, green drink! It’s the truly the perfect post-holiday detox drink!
Live Longer Cocktail
MAKES 1 SERVING
2 oz. 100% pure unsweetened cranberry juice
14 oz. plain filtered water
1 scoop greens powder (I like UNI KEY Daily Greens)
1 Tablespoon ground chia seeds
Pinch of cinnamon (Ceylon)
Stir all ingredients together (or shake in a lidded jar) – drink up and toast the New Year with good health!
Episode 53Ann Louise Gittleman Interviews Dr. Stephen SinatraSubscribe to the First Lady of Nutrition Podcast on any of the following popular podcasting channels. Health Supplements as Recommended by Ann Louise! "UNI KEY supplements are the only...
If you’re feeling fat, fatigued and frustrated -- join the club! Stress-eating our way through the challenges of the past year has left many of us putting our healthy diets on the back burner. But now, with the dawn of a new year, it’s high time we get our act...
Building on the New York Times bestselling Fat Flush Protocol, this guide reveals 4 brand new Fat Flush Accelerators that produce faster fat loss and even easier ways to get you to your weight loss goal. 2021 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of my Fat Flush...
Episode 52Ann Louise Gittleman Interviews Dr. Damon MillerSubscribe to the First Lady of Nutrition Podcast on any of the following popular podcasting channels. Health Supplements as Recommended by Ann Louise! "UNI KEY supplements are the only supplements...