Did you know a staggering 80% of American adults are magnesium deficient?
If you recognize yourself on this list, you may be one of the millions of Americans not getting enough of this magnificent mineral.
8 Common signs of a magnesium deficiency
- You experience muscle cramps and spasms…
- You feel stressed, tense, or anxious…
- You suffer from headaches or migraines…
- You suffer from heart palpitations…
- You have low energy…
- You have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep…
- You have high blood pressure…
- You have weak or brittle bones…
The list above addresses some of the more general symptoms magnesium can help improve, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the incredible heart and brain health benefits. I go into these in more depth in the blog articles featured below.
So, why are so many of us magnesium deficient?
Next, we have to look at lifestyle. Stress is a huge culprit and can literally “drain” our bodies of magnesium. Also, consuming too much caffeine and sugar deplete our magnesium levels. In fact, the more sugar we eat, the more magnesium our bodies require to process it. (I’ll share the shocking stats on this a little later, so keep scrolling.)
How to improve your magnesium levels
- Add more magnesium-rich foods into your diet. Some of the standouts include leafy greens, nuts and seeds like pumpkin seeds, almonds and cashews, buckwheat and dark chocolate.
- Soothe sore muscles and relax your mind and body in an epsom bath, or by applying a magnesium-rich lotion before bed.
- Supplement with targeted forms of magnesium to specifically address your needs. I break down the different types of magnesium in the articles below, and discuss which ones are better for certain parts of the body like your heart, brain, muscles, and more. I formulated Mag-Key with four different forms of magnesium for a wide range of benefits and recommend supplementing with at least 400 mg daily (and up to 5 mg per lb of body weight as tolerated).
Give Your Heart Some Much Needed Magnesium Love This Month
Hearts Love Magnesium Without a doubt, magnesium is the heart’s most critical mineral! In fact, it has been scientifically confirmed that it is the heart’s #1 mineral of all. Think of this: over 300...
The Benefits Of Magnesium Are Mandatory
The mineral that motivates every cell of your body. One of the minerals your body needs the most is likely one that you’re also deficient in. A typical human body contains approximately one to two...
Mad About Magnesium!
Why Your Magnesium Supplement Isn't Measuring Up Magnesium is to minerals what vitamin D is to vitamins. As the "master mineral" and superstar of over 300 key metabolic functions, it reigns supreme...
For every molecule of sucrose (table sugar) you eat, it takes 28 molecules of magnesium to digest.
And, for every molecule of fructose (think high fructose corn syrup) you eat, it takes 54 molecules of magnesium! Yes, you read that right! As you can imagine, this alone can quickly lead to deficiency, and it’s merely one factor to consider.
To help prevent magnesium deficiency and all the symptoms that come with it, shore up your levels with at least 400 mg of full-spectrum magnesium daily. As a general rule of thumb, many individuals may be able to tolerate up to 5 mg per lb of body weight. I recommend Mag-Key which contains four targeted forms of magnesium, plus B-6 for optimum absorption and utilization.
The Marvels of Magnesium
I’ve been talking a lot about the marvels of magnesium this week, so it will come as no surprise that it’s my absolute favorite mineral! I recommend 400-800mg daily or up to 5mg per pound of body weight daily. And, remember that not all types of Magnesium are created equal.
The only magnesium that gets my vote!
Mag-Key is afull spectrum magnesium formula that contains not one but FOUR unique forms of magnesium:
- Magnesium Glycinate can help ease stress and anxiety, irritability, and insomnia while improving mental calmness, relaxation, and concentration at the same time.
- Magnesium Malate can help soothe sore muscles, cramps, and headaches.
- Magnesium Taurinate supports healthy heart function.
- Magnesium Orotate helps boost energy and endurance, and also protects your heart, nerves, and tissue.
- Plus, vitamin B-6 which is critical for absorption and assimilation of magnesium.
My teacher RuthAnn Anderson introduced us many moons ago.
I I nterested in the magnesium combo for extreme calf spasms.