The Right Whey

What’s really in your shakes and smoothies?

Whether you’re a body builder or a busy mom, everyone these days loves the ease and convenience of a meal replacement shake or smoothie. And what’s not to love? With a simple swirl of the blender you get a yummy glass full of nutrients with endless fruit and veggie combinations.

At the heart of it is the protein powder—and there are many to choose from. Allow me to say right off the bat that not all proteins are created equal. If the dessert-inspired flavor label seems too good to be true it’s because it is. When it comes to the world of whey, the most popular brands are by no stretch the healthiest.

What’s Inside?

Far too many protein powders contain added sugar or artificial sweeteners that are touted as healthy alternatives. I strongly advise against artificial sweeteners as they can enable certain fat-forming strains of bacteria to thrive and have been linked to diabetes and weight gain.

The popular sugar substitute, sucralose aka Splenda has reported symptoms that include headaches, dizziness/balance problems, mood swings, vomiting and nausea, abdominal pain and cramps, seizures and convulsions, and changes in vision. Concerns have also been raised regarding its potentially dangerous effect on the thymus gland—crucial to proper immune system functioning.

Aside from the scary sweeteners, these proteins are also known to contain a variety of fillers and be composed of the nutritive isolate form of whey, as opposed to whey concentrate. They also often contain A1 milk protein—a variety with a nasty reputation that triggers allergies in many folks who do not experience the same allergies with A2. In addition to the allergy connection, A1 is linked to juvenile diabetes, digestive problems, and cardiovascular issues. You’ll find A1 in most cow’s milk in North America, which is why I recommend setting down that glass of milk and picking up a smoothie.

The Whey to Go

In light of this, I designed the purest whey-based protein powder on the market—Fat Flush Whey Protein. Unlike many of the top competitors, this whey contains absolutely no GMOs, hormones, gluten, egg, soy, corn, added sugars, artificial sweeteners, colors and flavors, preservatives, pesticide residues, and synthetic fillers. Each and every batch is also third-party tested for heavy metals, which is something a lot of those whey giants can’t say.

Available in vanilla and chocolate, Fat Flush Whey is derived from disease-free New Zealand cattle, and is non-denatured and unheated to preserve fragile amino acids. New Zealand’s Safety Authority has not just 1—but 2—programs for product safety monitoring and surveillance, eliminating over 250 dangerous compounds including aflatoxin M1, organochlorines, organophosphates, antibiotics and other veterinary medicines, and toxic metals.

And, of course, it’s made strictly with A2 milk protein and not a trace of A1.

Last but not least, this whey contains glycomacropeptides with branched amino acids and natural appetite suppressants, as well as inulin, a prebiotic that helps nourish friendly bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract.

With 20 grams of protein per serving, whether your goal is to lose weight, maintain your weight or build muscle, UNI KEY’s Fat Flush Whey is the right—and purest—choice for all.

• Robin Tams August 22, 2017 - 6:52 pm Reply

I’ve been using these for a few years and really like the Uni-key brand. Any chance of a strawberry whey? What about a chocolate body protein?

• Team ALG August 22, 2017 - 7:06 pm Reply

Thanks for your post, Robin Tams. Years ago there was a strawberry whey but it just didn’t sell well. Great idea about chocolate Body Protein. Stay tuned.

• Lorraine August 22, 2017 - 7:28 pm Reply

Just double checking that your Whey protein is not dairy free since I have to avoid it but it certainly sounds like top quality in every way.

• Team ALG August 23, 2017 - 12:30 am Reply

Dear Lorraine: Thank you for your question. The Whey is 99% lactose free. If you wish to have a sample, call Liz at 208-209-8253 who can send you out some. Many dairy-free individuals tolerate the UNI KEY Whey just fine.

• Renate Memmen August 22, 2017 - 8:16 pm Reply

I would like a trial sample. I have a lot of problems with protein powders and are tired of sending them back.

Please let me know if it is possible to get a small quantety.

Renate Memmen

• Team ALG August 23, 2017 - 12:31 am Reply

Dear Renate: Thanks for your interest. Simply call Liz at 208-209-8253 and she will arrange a trial sample.

• Rebecca Spivack August 22, 2017 - 11:01 pm Reply

I really enjoy having whey smoothies but have had to look for inflavored brands that work better with my preferred green vegetable and tomato based drinks. Can you recommend another unflavored brand? I have been using Jarrow. Thank you!

• Team ALG August 23, 2017 - 12:32 am Reply

Dear Rebecca: Designs for Health carries an unflavored brand. Do check online to order. Thank you.

• Adriane August 23, 2017 - 12:43 am Reply

Are the A2 cows organically fed or grass fed?

• Team ALG August 23, 2017 - 8:50 am Reply

Adriane, the A2 cows are grass fed in pastures that have not been chemically treated.

• Ione August 23, 2017 - 8:21 am Reply

If you have a problem with dairy …..will the whey also be a problem ?

• Team ALG August 23, 2017 - 8:53 am Reply

Ione, many people that have a problem with dairy are able to drink this Whey because it is 99% lactose free and casein free. If you would like to try it simply call Liz at 208-209-8253 and she will arrange a trial sample.

• Kimberly Murphy August 23, 2017 - 12:16 pm Reply

I wanted to love this whey protein. I’m a huge fan of your products and Louise. Unfortunately I didn’t care for the taste. It was too sweet a strong stevia taste.

• Ann Louise Gittleman August 23, 2017 - 1:19 pm Reply

Hi Kimberly: Thanks so much for your post. I am not a fan of sweet tastes either and find that straight cranberry cuts the taste nicely 🙂

• Elzenia August 23, 2017 - 10:18 pm Reply

I too didn’t like the whey drink. I was really disappointed. I’ve used your products for years!!

• Team ALG August 25, 2017 - 4:10 pm Reply

Elzenia, you could try different fruit combinations. That really determines the flavor. You can always call customer service at UNIKEY 800 888-4353 if you wish to return the container.

• Stephanie August 30, 2017 - 10:43 am Reply

Hi, any chance for a vegan protein option that you endorse?? Even if I wanted to use the whey, my body does not do well with it.