Choline Clears the Fat Log Jam

Part four in our series on Fat Flushing supplements.

Although most of us have never heard of it, choline is so indispensable to health that it is even found in breast milk. Before 1998, scientists believed that the human body made adequate amounts of choline. However, after additional research, the National Academy of Sciences classified choline as an essential nutrient—and acknowledged that we can’t always produce the required amount. Unfortunately, coming up short on choline can lead to hypertension, arteriosclerosis, cirrhosis, and fatty deposits in the liver.

Choline is vital to controlling fat and cholesterol buildup in the body—regulating the kidneys, liver and gallbladder, and banishing fatigue. Studies have concluded that choline helps the body burn fat, resulting in easier weight loss while simultaneously lowering cholesterol. As an added bonus, choline helps form phosphatidylcholine, which is needed for proper mental functioning. Providing your body with adequate choline while you are young can help diminish memory deficits as you age. Choline can nourish your brain and your liver while it helps you lose weight. That’s quite a deal.

And you can’t start too young. Without choline, infants can develop abnormalities of the myelin sheath—the protective encasement of nerves and brain cells. Sometimes adequate choline can help ease the spasms and involuntary movements of Tourettes’ syndrome and Huntington’s disease.

Just the Facts
• Lecithin (derived from soybeans) is one of our only choline-based food sources, along with eggs.
• Choline is an essential nutrient sometimes referred to as vitamin B4. It is key to the formation of one of the body’s central neurotransmitters, acetylcholine.
• Just a few weeks on a choline-deficient diet has been shown to cause abnormal liver function.
• Along with methionine and inositol, choline is very effective for helping the liver convert estradiol into estriol—the safer form of estrogen. In fact, may estrogen-based disorders (fibrocystic breast syndrome, uterine fibroids, and endometriosis) may benefit from added choline, along with other nutritional therapies.

Boost the Benefits
• You may want to take choline supplements early in the day because some people find that choline interferes with their sleep if taken in the evening.
• Taking choline right before a meal is fine, although it works equally well when taken with food.

Recommended Usage: Research suggests that a reasonable amount of choline supplementation is between 250 and 1,000 milligrams daily. When I developed the Fat Flush protocol, I made sure to include choline in one component of the Fat Flush Starter Kit because I knew that it was so deficient in people’s diets. Based on a careful review of clients’ diet histories, I suggest 300 to 350 milligrams of choline per day. Taking one Weight Loss Formula capsule three times daily gives you 336 milligrams of choline.

Part One: Fat Flushing CLA
Part Two: GLA: The Good Omega 6 that Flushes Fat
Part Three: Feed Your Liver with Milk Thistle

• Gwen May 26, 2011 - 3:50 pm Reply

The article states that choline helps to lower cholesterol. I am wondering if that is total, or just the “bad”?

• administrator May 26, 2011 - 4:04 pm Reply

Hi Gwen:
    That would be total cholesterol – not LDL!

• Pam May 26, 2011 - 5:14 pm Reply

I was reading an article on the effects of choline on reducing diabetes. How much would you recommend to reduce this, as well as high cholesterol?

Thanks!!

• Administrator May 26, 2011 - 6:59 pm Reply

Dr. ALG states, “research suggests that a reasonable amount of choline supplementation is between 250 and 1,000 milligrams daily.” This is the best range for supplementation to effectively lower cholesterol!

• Lisa May 30, 2011 - 12:25 am Reply

Miss Ann,

I was reading your blog on choline and the great health benefits that come with it. You mentioned that it is sometimes referred to as vitamin B4, and I know that you have your own line of supplements through UniKey. I would love to take advantage of this particular nutrient, but unfortunately I cannot afford to go through UniKey to get it. I was wondering if you have any recommendations as to an alternative place to purchase this? Thank you.

• Administrator May 30, 2011 - 3:35 pm Reply

Choline is available in most health food stores and through Standard Process.

• Pam July 26, 2012 - 10:48 pm Reply

Hi, I started out with a fatty liver now progressed to cirossis of the liver. My numbers are all wacked out. Also ovary is the size of a orange. the other one was the size of grapefruit 17yrs. Ago was removed and part of tube. They don’t want to remove this one because it may mess with my liver more. My stomach blew up so big now they say I have asistes and have me on water pills . Do you think chlorine could help me . I’m kind of scared to do anything many more. Before all of this I was on a diet losing weight and do great. I was on the fat flush diet for a while but stopped that I started gaining when I was doing it.
    Thanks for your input

• R.lively December 30, 2015 - 12:51 pm Reply

Chanca Piedra will help with liver and kidney ailments. It is called “the stone breaker”.
      .please read about it. It may help you clear it up.

• betti July 27, 2012 - 1:15 pm Reply

choline could help with your digestion of fats. I’m sure you could benefit from Liver Lovin Formula and Liver Care. They are both extremely helpful to detox and help your body rejuvinate your liver.

It is tough to lose weight when you can’t process fat through your liver. This may be why you were not getting results on Fat Flush. The Fat Flush Kit does have liver detoxing herbs in the Weight Loss Formula which could also help you if you want to try it again.

• john gourley November 19, 2015 - 2:10 am Reply

does choline increase the risk of prostate cancer?

• Liz November 19, 2015 - 1:02 pm Reply

John, the research on this is mixed. Since there is some evidence that it can, you may wish to limit your intake of choline.

• JonGrant January 17, 2016 - 11:09 am Reply

Wouldn’t it be strange if the choline connection with cancer is true. You probably saw the same research I have where something like 1 or 2 eggs per week can increase metastatic forms of prostate cancer by 80%. This is less than the “adequate intake” as determined by our own health authorities. Yet other previous research has shown no such connection between choline and cancer (don’t ask me for the reference, I am just repeating something I’ve heard). My guess, and its just a guess, is that choline will eventually be exonerated. But what do I know, I’m just an ordinary shlub. What I do know is that for me, 500mg of choline L-bitatrate makes me feel very nice, and gives me energy for an entire day. I am rolling the dice I guess. Regards.

• Frank January 30, 2018 - 10:24 pm Reply

You said: “”Lecithin (derived from soybeans) is one of our only choline-based food sources, along with eggs.””

Wrong! – Beef liver has the highest concentration of Choline of any foods…

• Doug April 17, 2018 - 10:56 am Reply

One more source of choline is derived from sunflower lecithin which I have taken off and on for years because I read that it cleans your liver. About a year ago I recommend it to a friend when she said she had cirrhosis of the liver.. my jaw dropped when she texted me the other day that her #’s were more than cut in half. It totally restored her liver!!!