Don’t overlook the most nutrient dense pick.
I consider this fruit to be the most underrated fruit of summer. Can you guess what it is?
It’s not papaya, it’s not mango, it’s not an orange, it’s not even an exotic fruit, like carambola… it’s…
This small fruit has big health benefits—and appears on the 15 least pesticide-contaminated list from the Environmental Working Group. This means that while it’s always ideal to purchase organic, if you’re on a budget, kiwi isn’t a mandatory organic purchase.
A classic study conducted by Dr. Paul Lachance of Rutgers University analyzed the nutrient density of 27 popular fruits. Kiwi scored an index of 16, making it the most nutrient dense of all the fruits in the study. It also boasted the highest level of magnesium—a nutrient that people are commonly deficient in that’s important for mental clarity, athletic performance, digestion, and more. Plus, as we all know, your diet should be packed with vitamin C—and kiwi came in first in that category, too, with nearly double that of an orange.
A Breakdown of the Benefits
If you aren’t sold on kiwi’s nutrient-rich charm yet, here’s an overview of some of the other incredible things kiwis can do for your body.
• It provides a high dietary-fiber content, helpful for controlling blood pressure and cholesterol.
• It contains a proteolytic enzyme called actinidin that can help breakdown protein, aiding in the digestion process.
• It helps you achieve glowing skin, due its vitamins C and E levels. (You can even put it on your face for a fabulous and affordable at home beauty treatment.)
• It has even been found via numerous sleep studies to contain a compound that might assist with treating various sleep disorders.
• It also might assist with asthma symptoms, due to its high vitamin C and antioxidant content, with children seeming to benefit the most.
A Nutritious Summer Sip
This smoothie recipe is worthy of any summer vacation—or staycation. It’s a supercharged way to begin the day or great as a satisfying snack on a hot summer afternoon. If you’d like even more healthy greens, I also recommend trying it with a handful of kale or spinach, or a scoop of Daily Greens.
Kickback Kiwi Lime Smoothie
• 8 ounces water or cran-water
• 1 small kiwi
• ½ tablespoon organic lime juice
• 1 scoop Fat Flush Vanilla Whey or Body Protein
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
• 1 scoop Flora-Key
• 1 tablespoon non-GMO soy or sunflower lecithin
• Chopped fresh basil, to taste
• Ice cubes (optional)
1. Blend the water, lime juice, powder, and kiwi until smooth.
2. Add the other ingredients and blend to desired consistency.
For optimum taste and ease of peeling, wait until your kiwis are slightly soft to the touch, but not mushy. As summer shines on, don’t overlook this small fruit that packs a big punch any longer.