It’s easy to become a clean, green, healthy machine!
Greens are some of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, and other disease-fighting phytonutrients. As a superfood, they also help build a resilient immune system, nourish and cleanse your blood, and build strong bones, teeth, hair, and nails.
Since so many of us cannot get in all of our daily green veggies on the go, powdered supergreens are an excellent way to enjoy more green vegetables in your diet. Many green powders have appeared on the market, but they’re not all created equal in terms of quality and purity. From a clean source, however, a green powder can really kick up your nutritional intake several notches—tossing a scoop into your morning smoothie can skyrocket your energy level for the entire day!
The Correct Combination
Green powders are only as powerful as the individual vegetables they contain, and each veggie has its own complement of nutrients, and therefore, its own unique set of benefits. I have my favorites, of course—like barley grass, for example. Barley grass repairs DNA twice as fast as chlorophyll, protects you from free-radical damage, and can boost your brain power—in addition to providing many other health benefits.
Broccoli is another superstar veggie, and broccoli sprouts are like broccoli on steroids! Broccoli sprouts fight H. pylori bacteria to prevent and heal ulcers, optimize lipids and blood pressure, reduce insulin resistance, and assist with DNA repair. They’re also a rich source of sulforaphane, a cancer-preventative compound. This small molecule enters human cells with ease, behaving as a “signaling molecule” to communicate with other cells. Potentially affecting more than 2,000 genes and activating multiple defense mechanisms, sulforaphane allows your body to reprogram its DNA into peak performance.
Another of my favorite greens is chlorella, which supports your immune, digestive, and cardiovascular systems, as well as helping with crucial detoxification. It’s high in beta-carotene, vitamin D, and gamma-linolenic acid and provides the nine essential amino acids.
One veggie you will seldom find in green powders is celery, but it’s an underappreciated addition! When UNI KEY was formulating the Daily Greens Formula, I insisted that celery be added to the greens blend because it’s a naturally rich source of bioavailable vegetable sodium. This type of sodium can act like an adaptogen and blood pressure stabilizer. Celery protects the digestive tract and liver and helps heal stomach ulcers. It’s also a vital nutrient for tired adrenal glands, helping you cope more effectively with mental, emotional, and physiological stress.
My Personal Pick
As I bet you’ve gathered, my favorite greens are UNI KEY’s Daily Greens Formula — a product that I helped formulate. Here’s the full “scoop” on this clean, organic, non-GMO mix with no additives or fillers.
- • Alfalfa Grass – Anti-inflammatory; chlorophyll rich to purify and oxygenate blood; protein dense for satiety, blood sugar balance, and muscle fortification.
- Wheat Grass – Contains SOD as antioxidant and liver support, full spectrum of B vitamins, lots of A and C for adrenal health and immune support and every mineral known to man; helps remove heavy metals.
- Barley Grass – Sodium rich to help produce HCL and support adrenals; contains anti-inflammatory enzymes; gut bacteria friendly and helpful in treating ulcerative colitis; antioxidant rich to protect against radiation.
- Kale – Magnesium rich to reduce blood pressure and soothe anxiety; fiber rich for improved elimination.
- Parsley – Flushes excess fluid; volatile oils and flavonoids protect against carcinogens; helps lower homocysteine to protect the cardiovascular system.
- Chlorella – Hydroponically grown to prevent contamination; removes heavy metals; helps eliminate mold in the body; promotes growth and repair of tissues; pH balancing.
- Oat Grass – Mineral and vitamin rich; potent detoxifier; speeds wound healing.
- Collards – Immune modulator, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties by potentating Interferon-gamma receptors.
- Spinach – Contains Glycoglycerolipids to help protect the lining of the digestive tract from damage, especially damage related to unwanted inflammation and neoxanthin and violaxanthin — two anti-cancer epoxyxanthophylls that are found in plentiful amounts in the leaves of spinach.
- Celery – Mineral rich; protects the digestive tract and liver; heals stomach ulcers; phthalides manage blood pressure by reducing excess fluid and relaxing smooth muscle.
- Broccoli Sprouts – Fights H. pylori bacteria to prevent and heal ulcers; helps lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
For a little extra “luck,” I’ll be adding a scoop to my St. Patrick’s Day Lean & Green Smoothie. I simply replace the spinach with Daily Greens Formula. I also recommend mixing it with purified water for a serious energy boost every day!